Sunday, May 11, 2008

way too much going on!

I have so much to catch you up on!
Two weeks ago we did a really cool project for the 1st grade art lesson and now it's all put together. The students each got a section of the picture to paint with just three colors and they didn't know what the whole picture was.


The point was that they were more focused on the colors and mixing them than on the end result of their painting.


They loved seeing it all put together a few days later.


I feel so honored because the teacher wants to put it up for Open House this Thursday. We also worked on their end-of-the year art portfolios.

I don't know about you, but it suddenly seems like there's a lot more to do between now and the end of the school year. Open House, field trips, talent show, luncheons, parties to plan, not to mention teacher gifts! I'd love to hear any cool teacher gift ideas that are not too time consuming.

Plus, I've got lots of my own stuff too! I've been working on that ugly cabinet I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.


I'm still not done, but I'm at the antiquing part now. I'll just show a few photos now and gradually add more as I progress. I was very thankful for Gavin's orbital sander which helped speed along a normally very slow step in the process.


And Sunshine helped paint the primer in all the corners - there were a lot of them!

We also finally planted the veggies in the garden. I asked Gavin to run out this evening to reinforce the wire fence to protect the garden from greedy deer! We'd all be so crushed if everything got eaten. It was a great way to spend Mother's Day (Happy Mother's Day, by the way, to all you wonderful, hardworking moms out there!) - the whole family outside digging in the dirt, getting the soaker hose ready, babying the seedlings. Now the hardest part is waiting for the harvest. The kids and I painted pictures of the veggies on scrap wood a few weeks ago, so we put them out next to the seedlings - we hope to put them on stakes soon.


So, of course, in the midst of this flurry of activity and busy-ness, I had to buy material for curtains for the kids' rooms - as if I needed another project! Actually everything was $2 a yard! I thought this fabric looked like buildings in a city, perfect for Worker's construction-themed room.


The girls have pink and purple walls and didn't really need a busy pattern, so this seemed just right.


I'm not too sure when I will get to them, even though curtains aren't that difficult. It all boils down to time.

Please don't even ask me about the Everyday in May thing - I haven't touched any of my watercolor supplies since last weekend. Maybe I'll be more dedicated in the summer?? Wait, the kids will be home all day wanting me to be their Planning Director. Despite my perceived complaining, I'm definitely looking forward to summer days and not having as tight of a schedule. The kids and I are starting to put together a list of projects (most are not that big) that we can do together. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: